Improve your headline Introduction
When approving a copy to appear on a website, many business owners don’t consider the effectiveness of headlines. The assumption is that readers will continue to the rest of the copy regardless of what is at the top of the page. This assumption can be a very costly mistake.
Remember the old saying “Curiosity killed the cat”. Let’s face it, we are curious as well and the best way to attract curiosity is by headlines.
Ensure that your headline is an accurate representation of your product, its main benefit and its Unique Selling Proposition (USP)
Ideally, your headline will represent your product and advertise it at the same time, as headlines are rife with the potential to sell your product before readers even begin reading your copy’s body.
Points to Consider
- It doesn’t matter what type of website you have…an online store, a content site or sales letter…you need a headline!
- You only have a few seconds to grab your visitor’s attention.
- Do it right away with a headline or it might be too late.
1. Be specific
- People feel great when their unique niche is recognized. Therefore, know your audience before writing the headline. When the reader feels that you know them, they will read on.
- Add specific figures instead of generalizations.
- Example a yogurt maker might use the headline: “Never buy a yogurt again”
- Make sure that you include a benefit (s) that will make your reader want more.
- Example: A writing service could have the following headline: What Would you do with 520 extra hours this year?
3. Shout your Offer
- You need to present your offer in a way that screams “READ ME”
- Focus on one feature and come up with a snappy statement
4. Look at other headlines
- View other sites and headlines and see what grabs your attention.
- I started a spreadsheet with the best headlines that I come across with a small explanation of what they are selling.
Examples of attention graving headlines
1. News headline
- They offer solutions to problems by giving news of the solution product.
- Just Released
2. Benefit Headline
- You must know your audience
- Research all the benefits of your product
- An example: Cleans and whitens your teeth
3. Guarantee Headline
- These type of headlines present appealing benefits and guarantee people will read more
- Example: Whiten your teeth in just 15 days or Money Back Guarantee!
4. How to Headline
- This type of headline would attract prospects with a problem looking for a solution
- Example: How to Win Back Your Girlfriend
5. Testimonial Headline
- This type of headline uses testimonials for effect. What better than your satisfied customers selling the product for you?
- Example: I earn a lot by just purchasing this blogging course.
6. Question Headline
- For this one you truly need to know your audience and be cautious. The best are the ones that encourage reader participation
- Example: Have you turned your first business venture into a disaster?
7. Command Headline
- Instructs your customer on what they will do and start with action verbs
- Example: Stop Wasting Time Procrastinating!
8. Reason Why Headline
- This type of headline give your prospects reasons why they should continue reading your article, sales letter or your ad
- Example: Easy and Fun ways of earning your first $500 online.
Headlines 1 to 7 will grab my attention if they answer a specific problem or technique I am looking for.
Headline 8 will only grab my attention if the reason is credible. I did buy in the past the: Buy this and you will make $10,000 per week…… Well they don’t work. I much prefer to buy something that teaches you a technique to add to your Online Marketing arsenal.